You can employ men and hire hands to work for you, but you will have to win their hearts to have them work with you. William J.H. Boetcker

Monday, January 3, 2011

Monthly Special Feature

Proper Maintenance, Removal, and Disposal of PCB-Containing Fluorescent Light Ballasts

http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/hazard/tsd/pcbs/pubs/ballasts.htm#ballast08

A Guide for School Administrators and Maintenance Personnel

• Introduction

• Why Should I Be Concerned about PCBs in My School?

• What Are the Health Effects of PCBs?

• Do My Fluorescent Light Ballasts Contain PCBs?

• Should the Light Ballasts in My School Be Removed

• What Should I Do if My Fluorescent Light Ballasts Contain PCBs?

• Is It Really Necessary to Retrofit the PCB-Containing Fluorescent Light Ballasts in My School?

• What Are the Risks and Potential Costs of Not Replacing the PCB-Containing Fluorescent Light Ballasts in My School?

• Are Students and Teachers in Danger if There are Leaking PCB-Containing Light Ballasts in Their School?

• What Are the Special Procedures for Cleanup and Decontamination after a Ballast Leak or Fire?

• How Do I Retrofit the PCB-Containing Fluorescent Light Ballasts in My School?

• What Type of Waste Will Be Associated with a Retrofit and How Do I Handle It?

• What Are the Cost Savings Associated with a Retrofit?

• What if a Retrofit Is Not Feasible in My Current Budget?

EPA’s Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) disposal requirements for fluorescent light ballasts:

http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/hazard/tsd/pcbs/pubs/ballastchart.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment